Virtual desktops are capturing attention as the next natural evolution of cloud applications. While the adoption of cloud delivered desktops is expected to increase significantly over the next five years, many organizations are wondering if the solution is a good fit for their needs and if now is the right time to make the transition.
This quick quiz will help give you an idea if virtual desktops are right for your company right now, or if it’s a change that can be added to your roadmap for the future.
- Do you allow employees to work from home full time / do you employ remote employees?
- Are employees able to work if they unexpectedly can’t get into the office? (Or is it lost productivity?)
- Do you work with third party contractors who have access to your systems, applications and data?
- Do employees ever use non-company issued devices to access corporate applications, data or documents? (In other words, do you have a formal or informal BYOD policy?)
- Do employees handle sensitive data (such as personal health information, credit card information or personally identifiable information)?
- Is your organization in a highly regulated industry such as finance, legal or healthcare?
- Do you set user or group security controls based on employee use case and need?
- Are security controls configured manually on each desktop?
- Does your organization often need to scale to meet seasonal or fluctuating demand (i.e. retail during holiday season or a legal organization handling a large case load)?
- Does IT struggle to keep up with hardware and software support/help demands? Or spend too much time fixing user-caused desktop issues?
- Do software updates happen at inconvenient times, hindering employees’ productivity?
- Is employee mobility important to your company’s success?
- Is an infrastructure refresh or augmentation in your near future?
- Do desktop hardware updates eat into your budget and bottom line?
- Is a merger or acquisition likely within the next few years?
Your organization faces a lot of modern challenges and would likely benefit from implementing virtual desktops sooner rather than later. Virtual desktop solutions allow for greater control over a wide foot print of devices and employees, improved flexibility for faster response times to changing desktop needs and easier, centralized IT management.
Prepare yourself to adopt virtual desktops by understanding everything that goes into a successful implementation. Learn more with The Virtual Desktop Playbook.
Virtual desktops have many benefits and can likely help your organization in some key areas, but might not be a top need or priority at the moment. Take your time to carefully understand the change and everything that goes into making a successful transition before moving too far down this path.
Learn more about the benefits of cloud delivered desktops >>
You may also like: